Sunday, December 21, 2008

This Year, in Film

I stared at the sight of the accelerating Batpod, disappearing out of view, as Gary Oldman's measured voice paraphrased it all for us. And as the credits rolled, I was disappointed. I had expected the perfect movie and I had expected too much.
It was May and in Mithapur, I spent a precious Sunday watching 'Requiem for a Dream'. I couldn't help but feel a bit queasy and hopeless, wondering whether the experience had to be as harrowing in order to deliver a message so much more obvious.
Its December in Delhi and an unusually mild winter. Another SRK movie, they say- one of the few I have sat through. For a few moments there, I am in the 1990s and I embrace romantic kitsch whole-heartedly.
My faith is restored.
I go back a couple of months- Subhash Ghai's Yuvvraaj and Atul Agnihotri's Hello- and I find little to enjoy, except the nachos with the cheese dip.
I am back again, in Saket, watching the Batpod disappear for the 4th time. I am content now. For once, there was enough to challenge the intellect and stand-up and cheer.
Its Dec 1st, and I am sitting in my 10th interview of the day. The clincher is my understanding of Batman's motivation; I say -"He is a vigilante with a misplaced sense of Justice". That is enough to crack the case. Apparently.
The more I think of things, of what it is good or bad, worth admiring or detesting, the answers lie in the obvious and the simple. Same with movies I guess. And so, I sit and nod when the Panda says that there is no secret ingredient.


No comments: