Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hot Lesbian Action and some football

I just finished Y- The Last Man; 60 issues at a stretch. It is, as expected after enthusiastic recommendations, quite brilliant. A sensational premise kicks it off, and the plot keeps getting better and better- it is almost exhaustive, in its scope and effort to tackle issues, sub-plots et al. Particularly attention-grabbing, in those moments when the story drags a tiny bit, is its recourse to panels detailing HLA, again a justifiable consequence of the premise.

After all, well begun is only half-done and a lot of story-lines, brilliantly begun, tend to lose their way. Prison Break, the TV series, for me, would have been brilliant if it had ended at Season 1 - but thats not how the TV industry works.

But, in Y, the twists keep coming, the body-count keeps piling up and everybody keeps fucking around- how can any guy stop reading? Which makes me wonder how the graphic novel fared with its female audience...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Euros are on, and once more, I prepare to get my heart wrenched, as a staunch supporter of Dutch football. Very early in life, I had made a few choices, and have stuck to them: for I had sworn my allegiance to Becker and Graf in tennis, to India (and Tendulkar) in Cricket and Holland in football. These choices may have been so, in opposition to my Brother's selection of Edberg, Azhar and Brazil; or my childlike response to a young Becker, a very young Sachin and the Oranje 1988 European Champion trio of Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten.
Ever since, its been an arduous journey, what with some brilliant players turning out in Dutch colours (Bergkamp, Staam etc), playing attacking, attractive football- only to bow out in various semi-finals by missing penalty-kicks.

I would not wish to make any predictions this year, for the present Dutch team has a lot of promise, but no real venom ( I absolutely detest the over-rated Ruud van- ah! Bergkamp!); however, their demolition of Italy makes me want to believe again. If nothing, it atleast opens up the tournament, and the Group of Death even more...

As for the English team- the whole lot of pompous under-achievers- I guess they are happy making headlines with their splashy weddings and beach frolicking; one hopes they qualify for the WC atleast...

No comments: